Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Afterburners

It has been 10 weeks post fusion surgery on my left foot. I have spent the last two weeks transitioning from non-weight bearing in a hard cast to partial weight bearing with a boot. Honestly, it has been a slow go, but I have been making progress, which is all I am worried about. At the moment, I have graduated from partial weight bearing with two crutches and a boot to partial weight bearing and one crutch and a boot. Little by little I have put more pressure on my foot over the course of 14 days. This has ensured that I not only decrease the risk of injury, but I also build up stamina and strength in my foot. In effect, this type of transition lowers the amount of pain I experience each day. My foot is fairly swollen and sometimes sore or painful in the evening or after a day of greater exertion on my foot. However, the swelling and pain have been decreasing quite consistently with each passing day (hopefully I don't jinx myself).  
Dorsal X-ray of left foot 8
weeks post fusion surgery.

The biggest fear I had through this process is that my joints would not fuse properly. Nevertheless, I have been reassured by my doctor that the X-rays show good signs of a proper fusion. The progression to "walking" is a big step in any recovery of this nature. My spirits are definitely higher with my two legged - although still somewhat constrained - freedom. Being that this is my 5th surgery on my feet in less that a year and a half, I really hope that it was my last. As anyone who has gone through a Lisfranc injury and subsequent surgery can attest, it is overwhelming and painful - both physically and mentally. Psychological integrity is imperative to push through these types of injuries and recovery. In truth, mine has been tested beyond anything I ever imagined and worn down to the point of being nearly broken. I hope I emerge from this in a healthy state. 

When I first found out I had a Lisfranc injury, I scoured the internet to find others with similar injuries. I wanted to learn my options as well as the outcomes. For those who are now just discovering they have a Lisfranc injury and all the horrible anxiety that comes with it, I hope that you find this blog helpful. I tell almost everyone that has a Lisfranc injury and is looking for answers that every Lisfranc injury and recovery is different. Do not go looking for specifics. It should never be expected that one person's experiences - whether positive or negative - are transferrable to your own situation. But, it is useful to be knowledgeable about Lisfranc injuries, how others were treated, and the possible outcomes of each type of treatment. I hope that one day I will be walking around on two feet again in relative painlessness. Until then, I have to put on the afterburners and keep on truckin'.

Science has proven that looking at pictures of dogs and cats can lower one's stress levels and blood pressure... So in closing, here are some pictures of my cat:


No comments:

Post a Comment