Friday, September 1, 2017

Six months post fusion

I can hardly believe it has been six months since my fusion surgery of my first metatarsal, first cuneiform, and medial cuneiform. So far, it has been a journey with many ups and downs. Fortunately, there have been fewer downs than ups, which means the net effect has been progress. I am happy to say that my foot has not felt this good since before my whole Lisfranc fiasco - starting 3 years ago almost down to the day this entry is published.

I began a walking regimen, starting at 3.5 months post surgery (2.5 months ago, June 2017). My main goal was to first and foremost rehab my gait and learn to walk correctly. However, just as importantly, I wanted to slowly grease the gears of my muscles and tendons in my legs, ankles, and feet that hadn't been properly utilized in years. I think the best analogy to me getting moving again after my surgery would be like starting a 1960 Ford pickup that had been laying out in the yard for 30 years without being driven. Initially, with a new battery and an oil change, the truck may start up after a few cranks. After getting it started, you may be able to drive it around the block slowly with no problems. But once you take the truck out on the main road and drive it faster and for longer distances, all kinds of problems pop up: oil leaks, stiff suspension, the radiator needs to be replaced, the transmission needs a flush, the belt fan breaks, the brakes are shot, etc... If I haven't lost you, just replace all the problems that arise when driving an old truck with the maladies that I experienced when I started walking again. 

Aches, pains, and swelling - not limited to my feet - all graced me with their presence in strange and often confusing ways. One week it was a soreness/pain along my ankle and the next week it was a soreness/pain on the side of my arch. At some points, I thought I had hurt myself by pushing it too much only to be surprised the next day when the pain or soreness had disappeared. I have struggled with plantar fasciitis and posterior tibial tendonitis on and off for the past 2.5 months. Right now I have a nagging case of tendonitis on my right leg - not even the side that I had surgery on 6 months ago - that has popped up for reasons I can't explain. I am not even partaking in high impact sports or running of any sort... So goes the mystery of the adjusting body.

Nearly 3 months into my walking regimen I have worked my way to walking 2 miles 3-4 times a week. To give some perspective, when I started I walked 1/4 miles at a crawl. I slowly worked on more distance week by week. Additionally, I worked on my stride and walking speed. Now I can walk just as fast a normal person. Between walking, I also did other strengthening exercises to rehab my legs, feet, and overall body including swimming, weight training, and stationary biking.

I have recently been doing a little hiking. Nothing too impressive but nonetheless something I haven't been able to do in years. I first started hiking a one-mile path up a small mountain close to home, and then I progressed to a two-mile hike up a more demanding mountain in the Blue Ridge. Besides the pesky posterior tendonitis in my right leg, my feet felt fine and the hike was good. Below is a picture I took from the top of the mountain.


2 comments:

  1. Hello. I have discovered your blog today, and just finished reading it all. What a story! Thank you for sharing.
    I have been dealing with this injury for the last 18 months, with two surgeries. ORIF on 1st month, hardware removal on 9th. But still having a neverending pain when sitting for more than an hour. Intriguingly, it usually gets better if I walk instead of standing still.
    But since it is not improving for the last 6 months, I am seriously considering having my second metatarsal fused to my second cuneiform. My first surgeon seemed to believe that this eternal pain was sort of normal despite all my complaining since the second surgery, but I looked for a second, a third, and a fourth opinion. And the one that seemed the most experienced of them all said he believes I have reached a plateau and only fusion will improve it. Now I have about 4 weeks to decide until my next appointment, with the MRI results ready. And I'm really scared about making the wrong decision, since I can easily walk 5km (problem is pain when standing or sitting) and I don't want to risk making it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dredd, I apologize for the late reply. In my own experience, fusion was the correct choice. I only recommend fusion if your doctor agrees it is the best treatment for you. From what you have mentioned, fusion sounds like the best option. But I am not a doctor and I don't know your full history, so my opinion should be weighted proportionally. I really hope you find the right treatment so you are no longer in pain. I believe fusion is the correct choice after failed ORIF.

      Delete