Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Days 102-138: deja vu

Today is the first day of meteorological spring. Yesterday (February 29th), I had my second Lisfranc operation. The surgery/surgeries included taking out five screws and metal plate from my left foot and putting one screw in my right foot. Yes... this may seem kind of confusing because I haven't really talked about the injury to my right foot. It is similar but more subtle to what happened to my left foot. However, back in January my surgeon recommended surgery on my right foot to fix an injury that occurred over summer 2015 (when I hopped and torn a tendon in my foot). He advised me to go ahead and get hardware in my right foot at the same time the hardware was taken out of my left foot. I agreed with him. I figured doing the operation in this manner was killing two birds with one stone. I have not previously mentioned the second surgery on my right foot because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I was also kind of embarrassed... what young guy has that many problems with his feet?

Surgery yesterday went well, and I didn't have as much anxiety or nerves as I had back in October... this wasn't my first rodeo. The doctor said that my left foot looked like it healed up nicely, so that is good news. He put a long screw in my right foot to bind up some instability from a torn ligament. I am not allowed to bear weight on my right foot for 6-8 weeks. Fortunately, I am allowed to put weight on my left foot while wearing a boot. If this was not the case, then I would be none weight bearing on both of my feet... that would be a nightmare. So far all the pain drugs that they pumped into me are helping, but as they wear off I am starting to feel where my feet were cut open.

Having this many surgeries, and being so long not being able to do anything on my feet (almost 2 years), has taken a pretty big toll on me physically and psychologically. I have to literally take it day by day or one step at a time (pun intended), or everything becomes much too overwhelming.

Now I am resting up. Mostly just watching Netflix or any other online streaming network.

No comments:

Post a Comment