Monday, October 12, 2015

Preparation

I had been organizing and cleaning my house all week in preparation of my recovery from surgery. Having had a cast and crutches once before, I learned how to organize my furniture so that I would have the safest and most efficient pathways to travel around my house. I also prepared by buying a shower bench and shower handle. These were two items I wished I had last time on was in a cast. Taking a shower in a tiny stall with a slippery bathroom floor is no fun on one leg. In essence, I organized and outfitted my house as if I were remodeling to accommodate an 85 year old man. So my house was cleared and approved for geriatric use... but I wasn't quite keen on going another 6 weeks on crutches again. Instead of going full crutches after my surgery, I decided to get a better mode of one legged transportation. I ended up buying a steerable knee scooter with brakes off Amazon (not so surprising that a knee scooter was significantly cheaper online than going through my insurance). I ordered this piece of equipment about a week ahead of my surgery. This gave me some time to test the scooter around my house. Last but not least, I did a mega grocery run. I bought food to last me a least a week and a half. I also made sure to get my girlfriend some food for when she stayed over to help me out. Leading up to the day of my surgery I was nervous and anxious. I almost couldn't believe I was actually going to finally have surgery. It has been such a long struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment